TinaK

She Reads Too Much

There are a million other things I should be doing with my time...cleaning my house, riding my motorcycle, cooking my family dinner, talking to my Mother on the phone. But I can't. I just....can't. There are too many good books to read.

The Forsaken (The Survivor Chronicles #3)
Erica Stevens
The Skin Map
Stephen R. Lawhead

Something Borrowed

Something Borrowed - Emily Giffin The only reason I wanted to call either of my best friends (both with over 20 years of friendship under their belt) is to tell them that I thank GOD we don't have such a dysfunctional relationship. The kind of relationship I have with these two women is the kind of relationship that you don't take lightly, you don't take advantage of and you protect at all costs. This book kicked that relationship right in the teeth and then kicked it's kidney while it down on the ground.

I got this book on my Nook after seeing a few previews for the upcoming movie. It looked funny and in my experience the book is almost always better than the movie. So I figured I'd get the book and see the movie when it comes out. I know my opinion is in the minority but man...I was so disappointed. Not only will I avoid this writer's other works but the movie is off my summer watching list.

While the book itself was well written I simply didn't enjoy the story. What is it really in the end? A woman engages in an affair with her best friend's fiancée and spends the entire book justifying her behavior or in a jealous, self pitying funk. That's some good times there!

Rachel (the POV character) spends the entire book bitching about her best friend Darcy and whining about the things she didn't get because of her Darcy's behavior. She caps off this stellar example of her personality by having sex with said best friend's fiancé. In another example of maturity and great moral character she explains that she knew Dex (the fiancé) first and never thought herself worthy of his attention. Not to hop on a moral high horse but in what kind of world would I want my escapism to be about an affair and the ending of a lifelong friendship? Would I want a relationship with a man who didn't fight me when he first knew he wanted me? A man who would take me to bed while engaged to marry my best friend? A man who was having his cake and eating it too and who takes an entire summer to break off an engagement? And only after I told him it was over and went running to another country to try to get over him?

I don't know. Maybe Rachel is supposed to exemplify 'every girl' - working a job she doesn't like, being abused and taken advantage of by her horrible boss, lonely, single and newly 30. Frankly I didn't relate. And I didn't care for her or any of the other characters in the book.

I finished it because I paid for it. If I had borrowed it or gotten it from the library this would have been a big fat did not finish.